(Senior) Scientist in Bioinformatics
STORM Therapeutics is a start-up drug discovery company working in the emerging field of RNA epigenetics with labs at the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge. We are now looking to recruit a Scientist or Senior Scientist into our small and dynamic bioinformatics team. This will be a tremendous opportunity to apply and hone your practical skills, integrating and analysing varied biomedical data to direct our existing drug development programmes or identify new targets. Working within the novel field of RNA epigenetics, the role will require an innovative approach and good problem-solving skills.
This is a permanent position offering an attractive salary & benefits package, with flexible remote/on-site working. If you have the right background, then please apply by sending your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and applicant details will be held in accordance with our Applicant GDPR Policy
Roles and responsibilities
- Maintain and further develop STORM’s InterMine-based data management system
- Perform data mining to support target validation and disease positioning
- Analyse, integrate and interpret multi-omics data
- Identify and adopt new bioinformatics methods to advance drug discovery projects
- Degree in bioinformatics or a related discipline (biology, computer science, …)
- Proficiency with software development and a relevant scripting language (Python and/or R)
- Experience with bioinformatics tools and biomedical resources (e.g. Ensembl, DepMap, UCSC Genome Browser, …)
- Ability to work on Linux systems and use the command line
- Experience with database administration (ideally PostgreSQL)
- Experience with build tools and version control (Git)
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
Additional desired skills
- Proficiency with a compiled language (ideally Java)
- Experience with workflow systems (ideally Nextflow)
- Familiarity with high-performance and cloud computing
- Experience with computational approaches in genomics or systems biology (e.g. GWAS, causal networks)
- Experience in statistics and machine learning
- Previous work in drug discovery, oncology or epitranscriptomics
- High-quality refereed publications as a demonstration of productivity
About STORM Therapeutics
STORM Therapeutics is a spin-out company that translates the ground-breaking science of Professors Tony Kouzarides and Eric Miska of the Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge, into the discovery of first-in-class drugs in oncology and other diseases.
At the core of the company’s R&D strategy is a pipeline of advanced drug discovery programmes developing novel small molecule inhibitors for the treatment of cancer. Working in close collaboration with its scientific founders, STORM has established a leadership position in the field of targeting RNA-modifying enzymes.
STORM occupies modern, well-equipped laboratories on the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge, which accommodate a unique biology platform for the discovery and characterisation of new drug targets - including sequencing, imaging and mass spectrometry.
STORM is backed by blue chip investors Cambridge Innovation Capital, IP Group, Merck Ventures, Pfizer Ventures, Seroba Life Sciences and Taiho Ventures LLC, all of whom share the founders’ ambitions to build a world-leading company in the field.