Principal Scientist, Assay Sciences
About the role
This exciting role, reporting to the Director of Discovery Biology is at the core of Storm’s ongoing target validation and drug discovery programmes, covering projects from hit identification to candidate selection and beyond. The successful candidate will be primarily lab based and will use their scientific creativity and innovation to design and develop novel biochemical and cell-based assays to investigate and fully understand the mechanism of action and pharmacology of compounds targeting RNA-modifying enzymes. They will work closely with internal colleagues and collaboration partners to build and run assay screening cascades and analyse data to support and progress our small molecule drug discovery projects.
- Innovate, design and develop robust and reproducible bespoke cell-based assays across a range of technologies (eg reporter gene assays, CRISPR, proliferation assays etc) to assess target validation, compound mechanism of action, cellular target engagement and downstream effects
- Be primarily responsible for vector design and vector generation for a range of applications – bacterial and mammalian protein expression, assay development, target validation etc.
- Innovate, design and develop robust and reproducible plate-based biochemical/biophysical assays (eg enzyme assays, ELISA, SPR etc) suitable to progress to high throughput methodologies to assess compound pharmacology
- Analyse and share critical interpretation of experimental results to include troubleshooting and next step proposals
- Present results in project team meetings and contribute to internal literature review meetings
- Maintain an electronic lab note-book and records of experiments, write protocols and assist in the preparation of standard operating procedures and risk assessments.
- Line management of research scientist
- BSc or equivalent in Biology, Biochemistry or another relevant Biological Science discipline
- 5 years post-PhD or equivalent relevant laboratory experience, with strong demonstrated ability in molecular biology (primer design, PCR, cloning, plasmid generation), cell line generation (transient and stable transfections, CRISPR) and assay development/screening
- Experience of a wide range of assay technologies and high throughput lab equipment eg plate readers, compound handling robotics
- Diligent approach to experimental protocol and data capture is essential. Competent in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint). Experience of using relevant data handling/ELN software is desirable (eg Dotmatics, GraphPad Prism, KNIME)
- Self-motivated with a keen interest in novel technologies and a pro-active approach to trouble-shooting
- Prior experience of line managing/mentoring more junior lab scientists
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative small biotech environment, independently and as part a multidisciplinary team. Experience working with CROs and/or academic or industry partnerships desirable
- Understanding of the overall drug discovery process essential and experience in working with RNA desirable
- Candidates should be legally entitled to work in the UK
- A passion for innovative laboratory work and drug discovery
About the company
STORM offers an industry-competitive salary and benefits package, exciting science and a great place to work.
STORM Therapeutics (STORM) is a clinical stage biotechnology company working at the forefront of an emerging field of biology, creating novel therapies that inhibit RNA modifying enzymes (RME) for use in oncology and other diseases with high unmet medical need. STORM’s lead clinical program STC-15 is a first-in-class inhibitor of METTL3 and is the first ever RNA methyltransferase inhibitor to enter clinical development. Based at the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge, the Storm team work in close collaboration with external partners such as drug discovery CROs and leading academic groups.
Please send applications to email@example.com