Opportunity for assay scientist
Storm Therapeutics is a small drug discovery company working in the emerging field of RNA epigenetics. We are now looking to recruit an assay scientist in our labs at the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge. This will be a tremendous opportunity to develop your practical skills within a multidisciplined team of scientists with expertise in biochemistry, mass spectrometry and molecular/cell biology. The role will involve developing biochemical or cellular assays for RNA-modifying enzymes to support high-throughput screening and drug discovery programmes. These can be challenging targets, requiring an innovative approach and good problem-solving skills.
Role and responsibilities
Your role may be varied in its demands but likely to include:
- In-vitro characterisation of new enzyme targets.
- Development of biochemical assays for high-throughput screening.
- Development of cell-based mechanistic and phenotypic assays.
- Working with external CROs for assay transfer and support.
Essential qualifications and skills for this post
- BSc equivalent in a relevant life science subject such as biology, biochemistry, genetics or biotechnology with additional practical experience gained in a laboratory environment.
- Cell culture skills – cell maintenance, plasmid/siRNA transfection etc.
- Practical skills in enzymology.
- Familiarity with data analysis software such as GraphPad Prism.
- A passion for laboratory work and drug discovery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Display an organised, systematic and rigorous approach to work.
- Candidates should be legally entitled to work in the UK.
Desirable additional skills
- PhD equivalent in a relevant life science subject
- Knowledge of RNA or cancer biology.
- Experience of cloning and protein purification.
- Experience of techniques such as nucleic acid extraction, electrophoresis, western blotting and PCR.
About Storm Therapeutics
Storm Therapeutics is a spin out company that translates the ground-breaking work of Prof Tony Kouzarides and Prof Eric Miska of the Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge into the discovery of first-in-class drugs in oncology and other diseases.
At the core of the company’s R&D strategy is a pipeline of advanced drug discovery programmes developing novel small molecule inhibitors for the treatment of cancer. We collaborate closely with our scientific founders at the University of Cambridge and have established a leadership position in the field of targeting RNA modifying enzymes. Storm has established a unique biology platform for the discovery of new drug targets, a key component being a cutting-edge mass spectrometry facility focused on the characterization of RNA and its chemical modifications.
Storm is backed by blue chip investors Cambridge Innovation Capital, IP Group, Merck Ventures, Pfizer Ventures, Seroba Life Sciences and Taiho Ventures LLC, all of whom share the founders’ ambitions to build a world leading company in the field. The company occupies modern, well-equipped laboratories on the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge.
Storm offers an industry-competitive salary, exciting science and a great place to work.
Please apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter, indicating where you heard about the job advert. The closing date for applications is 30th September 2021. We would anticipate conducting interviews in October 2021.