Opportunities for Industrial Placement Students
Storm Therapeutics is a small drug discovery company working in the emerging field of RNA epigenetics. We are now looking to recruit sandwich students for a 12 months placement in our labs at the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge. This will be a tremendous opportunity to develop your practical skills in an exciting new area of drug discovery. The role will be supervised by experienced scientists with expertise in biochemistry, mass spectrometry, molecular/cell biology and bioinformatics. Full training will be provided. The anticipated start date would be July/August 2021 (to be agreed). Your placement will involve you in the day-to-day working of a modern biotech and include an independent research project that you can write up and submit to your university.
Role and responsibilities
You will develop and apply key techniques such as:
- In-vitro characterisation of new enzyme targets.
- Purification and testing of RNA extracts from cells.
- Cell culture and development of cell-based mechanistic and phenotypic assays.
- Pharmacological studies with our unique small molecule inhibitors to investigate their effect on RNA pathways.
- Optionally, there could also be a bioinformatics component as part of the role.
Essential qualifications and skills for this post
- Studying for a BSc or equivalent in a relevant life science subject such as biology, biochemistry, genetics or biotechnology.
- A passion for laboratory work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Display an organised, systematic and rigorous approach to work.
- Good problem-solving skills.
Desirable additional skills
- Knowledge of RNA or cancer biology.
- Practical experience of enzymology, cell culture and/or molecular biology.
- Experience of techniques such as nucleic acid extraction, electrophoresis, western blotting and PCR.
- Familiarity with data analysis software such as Graphpad Prism.
For candidates interested in incorporating a bioinformatics component, the following skills would be required:
- An interest in bioinformatics/computational biology and some experience in this area.
- Programming skills, ideally using Python or R.
- Some experience of software development (eg an open source project), version control and/or biological databases would be desirable.
About Storm Therapeutics
Storm Therapeutics is a spin out company that translates the groundbreaking work of Prof Tony Kouzarides and Prof Eric Miska of the Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge into the discovery of first-in-class drugs in oncology and other diseases.
At the core of the company’s R&D strategy is a pipeline of advanced drug discovery programmes developing novel small molecule inhibitors for the treatment of cancer. We collaborate closely with our scientific founders at the University of Cambridge and have established a leadership position in the field of targeting RNA modifying enzymes. Storm has established a unique biology platform for the discovery of new drug targets, a key component being a cutting-edge mass spectrometry facility focused on the characterization of RNA and its chemical modifications.
Storm is backed by blue chip investors Cambridge Innovation Capital, IP Group, Merck Ventures, Pfizer Ventures, Seroba Life Sciences and Taiho Ventures LLC, all of whom share the founders’ ambitions to build a world leading company in the field. The company occupies modern, well-equipped laboratories on the Babraham Research Campus near Cambridge.
Storm offers an industry-competitive salary, exciting science and a great place to work.
Please apply to: email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 8th February 2021. We would anticipate conducting interviews in February 2021.